Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Firsts

When a family moves some place new there will always be a lot of firsts. After I started thinking about this post, it seemed that another "first" would pop up. So here is a list of "firsts" that we've encountered in the last 2 weeks (or will encounter by the end of this week).

1. Pizza Night - We ate in the cafeteria for the first time Friday. Pizza for the entire family for $7! It doesn't get much better than that.

2. Tests - Our first test is Friday. I thought if I did this post before I wouldn't be obligated to tell you how we did.:)

3. Food Cart - This is opened to all married student and staff at NTBI. The kitchen puts out all the leftovers from the last 3 days and we can take whatever we want from it. This is the menu I made up after picking up our food last week.


4. News - We received our first big Bluffton News. Kent's cousin, Leah and her husband Trent, had their baby 3 weeks early. He was 8lbs 5oz!! He must have the Rockwell blood. We can't wait to see him.

5. Papers - Kent wrote his first paper this week.


6. Grady's Hair - Grady did his hair for the first time. I'm glad it wasn't on a school day.


7. Dress-up - Grace wanted to dress up as a super hero and Grady wasn't even home. She didn't have it on long but she did want to put it on without her brother's prompting.


8. Iced Coffee- I've never made iced coffee before, but now I have. Yum!


9. Driving - I drove by myself. Grady looks too excited and Grace looks terrified! It went well. I've drove 2 times since!


10. Friends - This past Sunday was a first visit with friends from back home. Joe and Brenda came to see their son and daughter-in-law over the weekend. They live about 45 min from NTBI. They were kind enough to invite us over for lunch after church. The kids had a great time. Grace is the second from the left. Yes, she has boy swim trunks on with a boy swim shirt, but she was so cute. Our friend Brenda is in the back ground.


 11. Married Social - We had our first Married social with married students and staff. It was a blessing to be able to fellowship. I'm enjoying the new friendships we're building here.


12. Hair- After some inspiration from some ladies here, I decided it was time I braided Grace's hair. So after her bath tonight, I French braided Grace's hair. It looked really good, but now she's sleeping on it so it probably won't look as good in the morning. I know our babysitter from Bluffton, Madison, would be proud and my mom would be thankful it's out of her face. I have to admit it does look better braided than when it's all crazy.


12. Books - We've both completed our first book! And in only 7 days. Now if you know either of us very well that's very amazing. It was an excellent book. If you have time to read it, pick it up! You call get it free on your ipod or ipad. It's worth you time.


13. Lists- My sister Brandy is the best list maker in the world. Each of her lists are color coded and written in wonderful hand writing. Before coming to NTBI I thought lists were.... overrated. And now I'm here. I make lists all the time. Lists for what needs done. Lists for the grocery store. Lists for a blog post. List for food cart. So many lists. The funny thing, I don't always complete them or cross everything off. It's just that I forget so much that I have to write it all down.

So that's it. Our 2 week of firsts. I'm sure that more will come, as is typical with change. I'm thankful that the change has been slow. I'm also thankful that some things never change. That Street Fair comes to Bluffton every year.  Having sisters that love you. Having friends that care and invest in you. Having a God that always working on to make us more like him.

3 comments:

  1. We LOVE "keeping up with you" through your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracie's hair looks adorable, Brenda! Can't wait to see her this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda making lists ('insert' my eyes getting bigger and my jaw dropping)?!? I am on the correct blog, right?? Just kidding!! I love seeing the pictures. Great job on the hair dos!! (Grady's picture looks like he came into contact with a lot of static!)

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete