Friday, March 21, 2014

Trusting

This past week we had Special Emphesis in place of our normal classes. We do this one a semester to focus on a certain topic. This year we had a NTM Missionary come and talk about his work in PNG, and what a mature church might look like in a tribe.
 
How can something be so encouraging and be so frightening all at the same time. I was overwhelmed by what we may face. Yet, knowing the size of the task, confident that I have to rely on God for each step because there is NO way that Kent and I could do this work in our own strength. He shared a lot of really good points, but here are three that I'll share with you.
 
1. Settle in your heart Who is the Lord? and then ask What would he have me to do.
 
2. Live the life of truth, no matter what the cost.
 
3. Lastly, he showed us this picture of a jeep driving over a old, worn, unsafe bridge, with a river full of water under the bridge. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that this jeep was headed into a tribe. 
     Now those of you that really know me, you know that this picture was giving me a literal stomachache. I do not really enjoy water . So as I'm weighing this over in my mind as to wheter I could really put my family in that jeep and drive them across that bridge, he asks, Will you ever come to a point when Christ is no longer worth it? Think about it. Is there ever a time when you would say I just can't. I know that I should tell this person, or people about Jesus, but I just can't. That point that Christ just isn't worth the risk anymore.
      After seeing this picture, and working through all these thoughts, I realized yet again that this work that God is using us for will only be accomplished by him working in us.
       Could I cross that bridge today? No. Do I have to? No. Will I have to some day? Maybe. Will God go before be and prepare me for each plank that the tire crosses? Absolutely. After all, we're talking about the creator of the universe!
     Great is his faithfulness, great is his faithfulness, morning by morning his mercies are new. All I have needed his hand have provided! Yes, God has seen us through the small struggles here at NTBI and prepare us for the big struggles to come. I have the opportunity to trust him and move forward. Believing that he will go before us.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kent & Brenda,
    I just wanted to let you know I enjoyed your post. The timing of it is pretty cool too. Here is a little part of something I just posted that echos what you said here. It's part of my lesson for our adult Sunday School Class tomorrow in regards to Paul saying in Col 1:24 about "Now I am able to rejoice in sufferings for your sake"
    Tell me what you think!
    I'm working through Colossians with our adult Sunday school class and tomorrow

    I'm starting with Col 1:24. Here is how I'm going to introduce it.
    If you were Paul, would you answer an ad that read like this:

    **Help Wanted**
    My Father and I are looking for church leaders to invest in the lives of New Believers in the First Century church. All applicants must be willing and able to meet the following examples already met by the previous church leaders:

    Imprisonments, beaten times without number, often in danger of death. Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine {lashes.} Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep. {I have been} on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from {my} countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren; {I have been} in labor and hardship, through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. More information available @2cor11:23-27

    Please be advised: This is not a stand up and preach on Sunday only position and could go on for generations until I get back!
    Apathetic pew warmers need not apply.........although My Father can work miracles in them as well.

    ReplyDelete