Sunday, October 6, 2013

Three Events

So truth be told, I love to have people at my house. I totally enjoy being able to serve people, to feed them, talk with them, and give them a place to relax. Last week, in the span of 5 days we were able to host 35 or so people at our home on 3 different occasions. Here they are...

Event #1: Open Dorm night
This event is geared towards the singles at our school so the guys and girls can go into each other dorms, since they aren't allowed to do this on any other day. Kent said why not invite some people over to our house.... well it ended up being all the married couples and their children.

We all ordered the free pizza from the cafeteria. As usual, it was amazing!


We started supper with 7 adults and grew to 16 sitting around our 6 person table.


5 kids ate pizza at the coffee table.


After supper, the ladies sat around and visited.


So did some of the men,


Some of them played games. They played 2 games, this is the second one. It's called Masterpiece. Now.... Kent, Ben(my brother), and Aaron and Ryan(my brother-in-laws) are ban from playing this game. We found out after some time that the guys had figured out a way to cheat and thus always beat us girls. So Kent finally found another group of people that would play with him!


The entire evening was wonderful. Grace came to me at 10 and told me she was tired, so I put her to bed. Grady and his friends, Gavin and Hosanna, were still going strong. We laughed, talked and just enjoyed being together as friends. Finally at midnight, everyone thought they should probably retire for the evening. Grady did in fact stay up till then, but fell asleep just as soon as he was in bed. Lana, helped me pick up and I'm so glad she did, because the next morning we moved right into event 2.

Event #2: Lunch with the Single Guys next door.
   About 3 weeks ago, Kent invited the dorm next door over for fired chicken! I didn't think they would take him seriously, but I was so glad they did. We started cooking at 10am. We made fired chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, bread(which was a total flop) and apple crisp. Nine guys came over at noon and seemed to enjoy the good food and fellowship.


Event #3: Married Ladies Chapel
Every Tuesday, the Ladies and Men meet separately for chapel. The men meet at the same house, but the ladies move around. Tuesday morning it was my turn to host. Monday evening brought picking up the house and preparing a light breakfast. It was a blessing to gather together with this ladies. I'm thankful for each opportunity to meet with them and get to know them a little more.

 
We've been here 7 weeks. When I first came, I thought I would never make friends. But as we all know, relationships take time. Lots of time. I'm grateful that God allowed us to have these events so close together. They were a great time to build relationships. Each conversation is a blessing, a chance to gain a little more understanding of these women.  


1 comment:

  1. Oh Brenda...how fun! MLC was one of my favorite times at NTBI...I love seeing familiar faces like Lisa and Sue in your pictures :) (and Lana, Christian and Tina, Josh, Brenda Lei and others...) We miss them all! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete