Monday, October 28, 2013

Grady's Birthday Week

Grady's birthday week was full of all kinds of events. It's hard to believe that his 5th birthday has come and gone. It's weird to say that I have a 5 year old.... Am I really that old? Apparently so.

Last weekend we went home to help with the Helping Hand Benefit, which I think went really well. Brandy, my sister, did an outstanding job of speaking truth about the needs in the  community. Since we were home, Grady was able to see a few of his Grandparents, and ended up with this...

 
He was super excited, and we had to start building right away. We built legos all week, and now have all 5 boxes put together. I must say that I really enjoyed putting them together. It was a great time of just sitting and working with Grady while Grace was napping.
 
On Tuesday of Grady's birthday week, Grady got to go on a field trip to a farm. While he was there he picked a pumpkin, saw a baby lamb, went on a hayride, and ate donuts. He really seemed to enjoy his first field trip.


This past week was also spirit week at NTBI. This past weekend was Tribal Cup, which is a competition between NTBI Jackson and NTBI Waukesha (which is the campus in Wisconsin). Tuesday we dressed with our twins the Godsey's...



Wednesday, Grace dress wacky for Wacky Wednesday. Grady did not want to dress wacky for school.

 
For Formal Friday, Kent and I dress up as well. It was fun taking out our fancy clothes.

 

Ok, so we're going to go back to Grady's birthday celebrations. Wednesday, Grady had his first birthday party with friends. Samuel and Griffen came over for lunch. Grady picked out the menu, so they had box macaroni and chesse, hot dogs, apple sauce, juice and cupcakes. I didn't have any problems getting them to eat that lunch!


After a birthday lunch, they played legos for awhile, ok really it was like 3 hours. They did really well together, and Grady really enjoyed having them over.


Finally, Thursday had arrived and Grady's actual 5th Birthday was here. Since it was his birthday, and food is very important to me, Grady got to pick out his breakfast meal. Which ended up being pop tarts!
 
 
 
After school and a wonderful lunch of potato soup, which Grady also picked, we opened presents. 
 


 
My favorite present was the world blanket that he got. About 4 weeks ago he picked out the fabric with the world map on it and then I turned it into a blanket. I love that Grady loves to look at maps. I believe he knows more about where things are in the world, at the age of 5 than I did at the age of 28.
 

Later that afternoon, Grady and I went to check the mailbox and Grady had two packages. One from his grandm, Lala, and one from his babysitter in Bluffton, Madison.


I'm pretty sure that I was more excited than he was. The bottle was so cool. All of these things were stuffed inside the bottle and the bottle came in the mail just like any other package. I love getting the mail here at NTBI. Mostly it just brings junk mail and bills, but every once in awhile it brings really cool packages like these.


Later still that afternoon, Kent and I had ran out to get a winter coat for Grace. We hadn't been out for 15 minutes and Kent's dad calls. He was at NTBI! He had drove 2.5 hours to surprise Grady for his birthday with 4 pizzas and 4 2-liters of pop. It was wonderful. So we ate supper at 3:45 that after noon.


And then we had cake with Grandpa Rockwell. He is such a blessing to our family. We're so thankful that he came up to surprise us and share Grady's special day.


Now, in case you've lost track of the day, we're still on Thursday, Grady's actual birthday. After Grandpa Rockwell left, we headed out to a trout farm in Jackson. It was pretty cold so we had to bundle up. Grace barrowed a snowsuit from Rilla, and we headed out.


While we were there, we road a hay ride, saw lots of trout and ate donuts. Grady also got to play with his friend Gavin. It was a great ending to his birthday!


To finish the week, my friend, Kate, and I ran the 5K for the Tribal Cup. We were going to run a 5K last weekend, but decided to run this one since it was free! We knew that we would not do well, but I didn't expect to come in last by 5 minutes! My goal was to run it without walking, but that didn't happen either. It was definitely humbling. But we did finish and it was something that we can say we did together! Here is our before picture.....


And our after picture. It was exhausting but still a good experience.


Kent did his part as well for the Tribal Cup. He went with his friend Ray to play football. Despite their hard effort, the Jackson football team fell short of the winning. But they put forth a good effort none the less. However, over all Jackson did win the Trial Cup!


The week was full of lots of exciting events, but as always life keeps moving on. We have an Exodus test tomorrow and need to read the rest of Leviticus by Monday.

In the mists of all this God is working on molding us to be more like him. This week he's ask me to slow down. To focus on my marriage and training my children. I can have tons of people over, have my house picked up, the laundry done, supper on the table, my homework done, and get all A's and B's but none of that will matter when we move on from here. It will matter that in spite of busy weeks like this, I keep going in him. In spite of my busy week, it will matter that I loved my husband and cared about his needs. In spite of busy weeks like this, it will matter that I still made time to train my children and read books to them. Funny how God always allows for things to get done when our priorities are straight and he's the center focus of what we're doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment